Thursday, June 20, 2013

Slow News Day

Team Miner:

I don't have all that much to report today.  Jeff got his "power port" this morning, through which his chemo will be administered instead of the PICC lines going forward.  For the most part, it was uneventful, but for a brief loss of consciousness when a nurse ineptly tried to place an IV line.  Watching my husband pass out is something I would prefer not to do ever again.  Luckily, Lydia basically slept through the whole thing.  And Manou was able to take Stella to school so we were sans toddler.

After the initial fainting hiccup, the procedure was uneventful and a success.  When it was done, and Jeff was recovering, I jokingly referred to the port as his third nipple, given its placement near his right pec.  Even hopped up on pain killers, and having fasted for hours before the appointment, he made a witty - and totally nerdy - joke about being lucky to live in this current age so that he would not be mistaken for a witch.  I guess a third nipple raised suspicion back in the day?*

Like I said, slow news day. 

In closing, a week from today Jeff should be returning to the hospital for round three of chemo.  We have updated our "Lotsa" site so that folks in SF can visit Jeff and support the rest of us as well.  Despite the conclusions you may draw from the above, we do not need for anyone to send us smelling salts.

Katina

*I'll refrain from posting thematic pictures of supernumerary nipples or power ports.  But, I will say this: more humans than you might expect have "extra" nipples.  Fascinating!

No comments: