Tuesday, April 12, 2005

trade-offs

If blogging has done one thing for me in the past few inaugural weeks it has made me less prone to spend my late evenings reflecting on stuff. I realize that is sort of a nonsensical remark given that what I am writing here is ostensibly reflective (and apostrophe-free). However, I find that when I blog I spend most of my time trying to think of something funny or witty to say. Most of the time I fail. Rarely, if ever, do I end up talking about things that bother me on a deep level or share with the blogosphere any little joys in my life.

On that note, I will share a joyful soundbite. In my externship (silly law school word for internship) I had been having a difficult time working with a client. I felt our communication was stifled. I knew that there was little openness between us. Recently, I reread some of my earlier notes pertaining to the case and had a pretty eye opening reaction to how much this particular client was facing in life. Just a ton of obstacles and a lot of barriers. I think at the root of it, this was a humbling moment. It was exactly what I needed. This shift in my perspective is working to change me. Perhaps in that process it will also transform the relationship. I had thought about humility and lawyering before, but had not been able to put it into practice. Hopefully I can integrate it into other aspects of my life too.

If only I could integrate productivity into my life I would be set!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is exactly why you will be an amazing, talented lawyer.

dirteens said...

rockstar, you know how to make a girl feel special. thanks!